Tuesday, May 3, 2011

For my Momma


In the recent years of my life, I look forward to Mothers Day because it's a day to celebrate ME. Me me me me. I get the afternoon to myself. Last year, I sat at Timmy Ho's, drank a cappuccino and read the funnies. With my feet up and nobody climbing all over me.  It was a dream come true. But, this year I'm looking forward to it because I am doing something I should have done every year of my whole life: Honor my mom.

One of my favorite bloggers (who is also the author of this hilarious and awesome book), and super sweet lady, Wendy Hagen over here at this blog, is hosting a giveaway. She told me I had to say nice things about my mom in order to win.

Ok, Wendy. You twisted my arm. NOT. My mom totally rocks.

 1. What is your best childhood memory with your mom?
I can't even pick. My mom rocked. I'd have to say though, there was a time in 9th grade that I did something extremely stupid (I got caught shoplifting at Six Flags. Am I cool or what?! Kidding.), and she knew that I'd punish myself for it far worse than any discipline she could give me.   I confessed it to her, and the disappointment on her face was almost more than I can bear. And guess what. She just held me.  My 15 year old self climbed into my mommy's lap and she just held me as we both cried. Yeah, like I said. My mom totally rocks.
 
2. Was she consistent in her discipline? (Hint: Please say no. But if the answer is yes—don’t lie . . . unless your mom taught you to lie.)
I like how Wendy asked this question! I always want to hear people say 'no' too. Cuz I know I'm not and it makes me feel better. ha! But unfortunately (but fortunately for me), my mom was pretty consistent.  Sorry to say.  Once we were too old to be spanked, she did a lot of grounding, which was torture for us since most of our friends lived in our neighborhood and we could hear them playing outside.  I guess that just goes to show ya that when you consistently discipline the right way, your kids turn out pretty darn good.  *toot toot to my mom*

3. Did you ever make your mom cry because you were so unruly or disobedient? (When I pushed my mom too far she would say, “I quit. You can go find a new mom.” That was her form of crying.)
Wow, I answered this already.  But I think it was a different kind of cry than what is asked here.  As for like a frustrated, frantic crying, I can't ever remember that happening. Although she did have 5 kids pretty close together, so I imagine there might have been one or two hundred times she cried.

 Do you remember any of the special things your mom did for you?  
Oh my gosh. My mom threw me a surprise birthday party in 5th grade.  Back story: Does anyone remember that episode of Full House where Stephanie got surprised by Tommy Page coming to sing to her at her house? Well, I had a crush on this senior named Jamie Allen who sang like butter, so she tried to get him to come sing to me at this party!  Being the shy, modest boy that he was (or maybe he was just mortified to be asked to sing at a 5th grade birthday party), he made me a tape and they played it for me when I walked in the door.  I'll never forget all the work my mom put into that party! 
 
5. Did she teach you anything really significant?
Anytime I think about this question, I remember this one thing she used to say to us that has always stuck with me.  When we would disobey, or if she wasn't sure if we'd done something we shouldn't have (especially in our pre-teen and teen years), she would say "Your dad and I can't always see you, but God is always watching you, and He can see it all.  You'll have to answer to Him someday if you make the wrong decisions."  I truly believe that one of the main reasons I have any discernment between right and wrong at all is because my parents raised us in the Truth.  

I love you, Mom. Thank you so much for raising us to love the Lord, each other, and everyone else. You're a fantastic woman of God. 

*Go over to Wendy's website and check out other cool mom stories*

2 comments:

From Snowflakes To Hotcakes said...

Woah. you are totally going to be the favorite daughter now. LOL :) This was great, Jenn, and all true. We got awesome parents.

TDM Wendy said...

This is sweet. I now love your mom. And I love this sentence:
Although she did have 5 kids pretty close together, so I imagine there might have been one or two hundred times she cried.
That's funny. And what a sweet story of how she responded to when you shoplifted. Grief instead of anger.
Happy Mother's Day!